Don’t settle for the tip of the iceberg

If you’re really serious about sales – why settle with the just the tip of the iceberg? I always get stunned when I meet a sales person that goes hard to close a deal. It’s not as common as you might think. But what gets to me even more is when a sales person tries to close on the first thing that comes up – without asking any questions…

Often when we meet a possible customer they will only reveal the “top of the iceberg”. If you start asking questions you will reveal so much more of his or her needs which if course is more opportunities for sales!

Iceberg

Sure. It’s always import to be quick to close but don’t be too quick. Because if you are you might loose out on more and possibly bigger sales. What you see of an iceberg on top of the surface is approximately 10%. The rest of the iceberg, the other 90% lies below the surface. It’s not a lot different from what we meet everyday as sales people when we meet new potential customers. As customers we usually have a number of underlying motives to why we are asking about something.

Here’s todays tasks for you:

  1. Instead of trying to close on the first thing you pick up in a meeting, try to ask some questions about the motives behind. By doing so you’ll most likely expose more sales opportunities.

There’s is another positive side effect from doing this. You’ll show the customer that you not only care for the sale but also for the customers need/needs and situation. This is key to retaining your customers over time. And you should be interested of this because there is no cheaper sales than to sell to those that you’ve already sold to, that know who you are and what you do. So by using this – you’ll show your customer that you’re putting your heart into whatever they are asking or looking for.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Author: Daniel Bergqvist

Dad of three, husband, entrepreneur, keynote speaker, marketeer and more. Love life with family, friends and work. A heart for change and sales.